Schapiro recognized with award for support of student affairs

Mariana Alfaro, Assistant Campus Editor

Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education recognized University President Morton Schapiro with the 2015 NASPA President’s Award, the group announced Tuesday. 

“The award gives special recognition to a college or university president who has, over a sustained period of time, advanced the quality of student life on campus by supporting student affairs staff and programs,” the group said in a news release.

Schapiro, Northwestern’s 16th president, was recognized for his continued success in both the economics and higher education. The group commended him for maintaining a successful relationship with students, highlighting his annual firesides and meetings in his office, as well as the fact that he invites more than 700 students to dine at his home every year.

The organization also applauded Schapiro’s success in raising funds for financial aid and helping increase diversity at the University.

“In addition to fundraising dollars, Schapiro has made it a priority to dedicate additional institutional funds for financial aid. Since his arrival, the amount of available funds has increased from $94M to $133M,” the news release said. “This substantial increase has changed the demographics of the Northwestern student body.”

Schapiro’s colleagues commented on his success.

“Parents of students trust him and relate to his genuine and informal style, and our students feel as if ‘Morty’ is not just their president, but their advocate and champion,” said NU’s student affairs leadership team in the release.

Schapiro will be honored in March at the 2015 NASPA Annual Conference in New Orleans, which is organized by the higher education group.

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro