Police Blotter: Jan. 23

Hal Jin, Reporter

Resident escapes robber

A 34-year-old man escaped an aggravated robbery Monday by slipping out of his jacket, police said.

Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said the Evanston resident was smoking a cigarette and talking on his phone outside his residence in the 100 block of Ashland Avenue at 5 p.m.

A man, who appeared to be 18 to 21 years old and wore a black coat, approached the resident and asked to use his phone. When the resident refused, the robber grabbed the collar of his jacket, placed a hard object against his chest and demanded the cell phone.

The man did not see the object but assumed it was a handgun, Dugan said.

After struggling with the robber, the man managed to slip out of his jacket and flee the scene. The attacker jumped into a car, and drove away.

The robber stole the resident’s blue North Face jacket and car keys. The resident was not injured during the attack.

Evanston resident charged with assault

A 21-year-old Evanston resident was arrested in connection with assault after a verbal altercation Wednesday afternoon.

The man was visiting a building in the 1800 block of Dempster Street when he became involved in a verbal altercation with a female resident of the building.

The man threatened the female resident’s life, Dugan said.

Although the altercation never became physical, the female resident was worried she would be hurt, police said. Several witnesses were present, including the landlord. There is no information as to who called the police.

They were already separated when officers arrived.

The building is a multi-family home with two separate flats on the first and second floor.

The man, who has denied the charge, is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 13.

Twitter: @apricityhal