UPS driver off the road after Evanston accident

Paige Leskin, Reporter

The driver of a delivery truck that hit an Evanston woman Monday night was not on the road Tuesday, a United Parcel Service spokeswoman said.

Although the driver has not been suspended, he was not driving a UPS truck Tuesday, spokeswoman Susan Rosenberg told The Daily. Rosenberg called the man an “experienced” driver who was not injured as a result of the accident but was “shaken up.”

The woman who was hit was transported Monday night to to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., with life-threatening injuries. The 30-year-old woman is now stable, although still in critical condition, Evanston police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

The UPS driver was cited for failure to exercise due care to a pedestrian, Parrott said.

In a statement to police, the man said he never saw the woman and stopped the truck once he heard a scream and “felt a thump,” Parrott said.

The UPS truck hit the Evanston woman at about 5 p.m. as she crossed Ashland Avenue at its intersection with Central Street, police said. Evanston firefighters freed the woman from where she was trapped under the truck before taking her to the hospital.

UPS, working with the Evanston Police Department, has launched its own investigation into the incident, which Rosenberg said is normal protocol for any accident involving a UPS truck.

Police are still investigating the accident and trying to reconstruct what happened, Parrott said. If the Evanston woman regains consciousness, police said they will take her statement.

Twitter: @paigeleskin