Northwestern students call for tolerance at Chabad menorah commemoration

Paige Leskin/Daily Senior Staffer

Medill sophomore Noah Fromson plays a song Tuesday night on the steps of the Tannenbaum Chabad House, 2014 Orrington Ave. About 50 student representative gathered and spoke about tolerance at the commemoration of the Chabad House’s new menorah, which was replaced after it was vandalized in October.

Paige Leskin, City Editor

The Tannenbaum Chabad House dedicated its new menorah Tuesday night, a little more than a month after its previous one was vandalized beyond repair.

About 50 people attended the ceremony at 2014 Orrington Ave., where members of Northwestern student organizations each switched on a light bulb of the menorah to symbolize the union of different groups embracing tolerance of race and religion.

Students from groups including Alpha Epsilon Pi and Zeta Beta Tau fraternities, Associated Student Government and the University Christian Ministry at NU attended the ceremony.

Chabad House Rabbi Dov Hillel Klein thanked the representatives for coming to the event. He said it was encouraging to see student leaders speak out against the vandalism to the menorah.

“It’s disheartening.” Klein said. “That’s the type of behavior that’s not acceptable … We need to educate each other so we truly try to understand our differences.”

The menorah was damaged in the early morning of Oct. 25 by someone Klein identified as a student using video footage. The incident was the third time in six months that the menorah had been vandalized, Klein said.

Klein told The Daily in November the incident indicated a need for open dialogue among members of the NU community to increase sensitivity and inclusion of different religions.

Students and parents donated money for a replacement menorah, which cost about $1,200, Klein said at the event Tuesday.

The students who “lit” the menorah also spoke about what unity and acceptance mean to their campus organizations.

“Tolerance is not being afraid to be yourself and not caring what other people think,” AEPi president Alex Krule said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin