Police Blotter: Nov. 4

Paige Leskin, City Editor

Evanston man robbed, hit with gun Wednesday

An unknown person hit an Evanston man with a gun and stole his iPhone in south Evanston on Wednesday night, police said.

The 42-year-old Evanston man told police that he was out on his nightly walk when a man approached him from behind at around 10:36 p.m. in the 600 block of Forest Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

The man displayed a revolver, chrome or silver in color, and demanded the Evanston resident’s belongings, Parrott said. He then struck the 42-year-old twice in the head with the gun, causing the man to fall forward and drop his iPhone 5c on the ground.

The man took the phone and fled southbound on Forest Avenue toward South Boulevard, Parrott said. Police believe the man may have run into Calvary Cemetery, 301 Chicago Ave.

Evanston Police Department detectives are investigating the incident, Parrott said. The Evanston man did not sustain any serious injuries, police said.

Officials do not have any suspects in the case.

Husband, wife arrested Friday in connection with retail theft

Police arrested a husband and wife Friday in Evanston in connection with the retail theft of a Sam’s Club, authorities said.

Officers responded at about 12:05 p.m. to a call from security personnel at the Sam’s Club, 2450 Main St., police said.

Security staff stopped the Chicago residents after they had attempted to leave the store without paying for some items, Parrott said. The man and woman had paid for some items, but had also tried to take some items they had concealed on their persons, he said.

The products they tried to take included medication and clothing, totaling about $102 in value, Parrott said.

The 35-year-old man and the 33-year-old woman were both charged with misdemeanor retail theft, police said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin