Dancer registration numbers dip for DM 2015

Becca Sanchez, Reporter

Northwestern University Dance Marathon registration officially closed Friday night, securing more than 1,400 registered dancers this year with 47 dancer teams. The organization fell short of last year’s number of 1,500 registered dancers.

“The entire executive board is very excited for the upcoming year,” said DM spokesman Ross Gordon. “It is fantastic to see so many students want to join NUDM.”

Gordon, a Medill senior, also said there are new opportunities to help students successfully start their fundraising campaigns.

This year dancers will receive a “brand new comprehensive guide about the mentorship program” that pairs veteran dancers with new dancers to help them learn about raising money and getting involved, Gordon said.

Munchy Mondays is a new fundraising program for dancers to sell baked goods in the lobby of Technological Institute. DM has already secured permits for the space for several Mondays in Fall Quarter beginning Nov. 11.

For the second year, DM will also continue its fee “scholarships,” or subsidies, intended to lower the financial barrier to register for DM. New this year, eligibility will be determined by the Office of Financial Aid and distributed by University President Morton Schapiro’s office.

The subsidies helps cover the $50 registration fee, which is used for  “the production costs of the event in order to allow 100 percent of student fundraising to go directly to the beneficiaries,” Gordon said.

When registering, students could opt to request a fee subsidy that is granted to students who demonstrate financial need.

“We are hoping that everyone who applied has their needs met accordingly,” Gordon said.

The 41st annual Dance Marathon will take place on March 6 to 8 and will benefit Starlight Children’s Foundation.

Twitter: @danbsanchez