Shooting results in gas leak in southwest Evanston

Paige Leskin, City Editor

One person is in custody following a shooting Tuesday night in southwest Evanston that resulted in a car crashing into a gas line.

Police responded a little after 9 p.m. on Tuesday to multiple calls of shots fired in the area of Greenleaf Street and Florence Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said.

People from two separate cars were shooting at each other, causing one of the vehicles to crash into a house in the 900 block of Florence Avenue and hit a gas line, police said.

Authorities held one man in custody in connection with the shooting. He does not appear to be the shooter, however, and police do not have enough evidence to charge him, Parrott said.

No gunshot victims have been located, and no injuries were reported, police said.

The crash caused the gas line to break off and resulted in a major gas leak, fire Division Chief Dwight Hohl said. Officials evacuated the house that was hit and two other area residences, he said.

Nicor Gas Company workers arrived at the scene around 11 p.m. to turn off the gas, Hohl said. Fire officials were then able to move the car and let gas company employees cap the gas leak, he said.

The investigation is still ongoing, although police believe the incident was gang related, police said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin