Northwestern to build new residence hall

Rebecca Savransky, Managing Editor

Northwestern will construct a new residence hall for the first time since 2002.

The University announced Friday it is beginning the design process on the building, located at 560 Lincoln St., near Patten Gym. The construction will mark the first step in NU’s 10-year housing master plan.

“This new residence hall will increase the housing options for our students and create a greater sense of community on the Northwestern campus,” University President Morton Schapiro said in a news release. “We are eager to get this project underway and work with our new architects on a distinctive design for the building.”

The University selected William Rawn Associates, Architect, Inc., who will be working with Chicago-based firm Nagle Hartray Architecture to construct the building.

The architecture firm is known for its cultural, university and civic buildings and has received nine American Institute of Architects National Honor Awards in the past 14 years.

“We had many great architects bid, but the chance to work with William Rawn Associates is outstanding for Northwestern,” vice president for student affairs Patricia Telles-Irvin said in a news release.

The firm has also worked with multiple universities across the country including Harvard University, Duke University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Paul Riel, executive director of residential services, said the firm will create a building that complements the campus architecture well.

“They have a reputation for designing signature student housing projects,” Riel said in a news release. “I am confident that together we can create a dynamic project that will serve our students.”

Twitter: @BeccaSavransky