Four Northwestern buildings honored by Preservation Commission

Sophia Bollag, City Editor

Deering Library, Chapin Hall, the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house and Swift Hall were recognized by Evanston’s Preservation Commission for its annual Preservation and Design Awards on Tuesday.

The city awarded NU a “Proper Preservation/Restoration” award for the renovation of the Deering west entrance, which included both a renovation of the stairs and ramps leading up to the main doors and a redesign of the interior entryway.

“This project maintains the integrity of the building’s west facade and has been well integrated with the surrounding landscape,” said Preservation Commission coordinator Carlos Ruiz during the presentation of the awards at the City Council meeting Tuesday. “This is an exquisite project, and the Commission was thrilled to see it.”

The western doors of Deering were reopened in 2012 after a partial renovation to the entrance.

The doors had previously been closed for 42 years.

(Northwestern reopens Deering Library doors)

NU’s renovation of Chapin was honored with an “Award for Innovative Solutions in Preservation” for the restoration of the building’s front facade.

“Chapin Hall’s restoration is a very well done, sensitive design that incorporates new elements in order to incorporate mobility of impaired students and visitors,” Ruiz said. “The design, construction and ownership team went to great lengths to make sure this work matched the original design and characteristics of the building.”

The restoration of windows in Swift and the renovation of the Kappa house veranda to incorporate a ramp also won awards.

The Commission also recognized the Grosse Point Lighthouse, 2601 Sheridan Road, the Evanston History Center, 225 Greenwood St., and two private Evanston residences for their restoration efforts.

Twitter: @SophiaBollag