Stoimenoff: Jobs an overlooked part of the college experience

Trevor Stoimenoff, Columnist

The “college experience” is all about balance: taking academics, extracurriculars and a social life and piecing them all together in perfect harmony. Achieving this seems like a daunting task, and it is tough to do it without spreading yourself too thin. However, the search for balance is part of the process, and what you ultimately decide to fill your time with will carry weight throughout the rest of your life. One piece of this puzzle that is extremely important is having a job – working part-time while also attending school. This is something that should be attempted by everybody during their undergraduate career.

In my experience, having a job has been beneficial as a whole. Admittedly, it does take time away from an already hectic schedule, but the positives outweigh the potential drawbacks.

Receiving a paycheck every two weeks is an obvious benefit of having a job. There have been many instances where, without a job, I would have hesitated to purchase small luxuries. However, with my own stream of income I am able to splurge on small items without feeling guilty. In a way, it is also an initial step toward the independence we will inevitably have to face in the future. Having a steady paycheck has made me more aware of my own finances, and it has given me insight into how to successfully manage money.

Aside from the financial aspect of employment, another huge benefit is the connections you form within the workplace. I previously worked at a reception desk on the third floor of Norris University Center, and during the year I worked there, I gained many acquaintances, both professional and personal. I was able to interact with the executive director of Norris and the mini course facilitator, as well as students who were juniors and seniors, all people who I would not have met otherwise.

Experience is another obvious gain from having a job. Employers seek out applicants with previous experience in the workplace, and by taking on a job during your undergraduate career, you are essentially getting a head start on the process of finding post-graduate employment. It also demonstrates to potential employers that you are capable of balancing work and school, and this goes a long way in predicting how you will perform in a professional environment.

It might seem like an intimidating task, but it is important that you seek out employment, at least for a short period of time, during your undergraduate career. Yes, the benefits I have listed are important for your future, but having a job is perhaps the most important on a personal level. In my experience, being employed while also balancing classes, club sports and other groups has given me confidence that I can succeed in the real world. I have proven to myself that I can achieve balance and prioritize when necessary. Above all, I have a clearer idea of where my talents and abilities lie and what I can achieve. Working might seem like something you want to save until after you graduate, but I encourage you to act otherwise and expand your horizons.

Trevor Stoimenoff is a Weinberg sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].