City invites residents to apply to animal control board

Paige Leskin, Assistant City Editor

The city announced Thursday that residents could apply for a spot on the newly created Board of Animal Control.

The board will be in charge of looking over monthly reports from the city’s chief animal warden Linda Teckler and from the volunteer animal care organization that is chosen to replace the Community Animal Rescue Effort as a partner of the Evanston Animal Shelter. 

Members of the board will also help in prioritizing issues for City Council to address, as well as providing updates to the council. It will manage the fundraising efforts for the animal shelter as well. 

The city will accept four Evanston residents to serve on the board, along with two aldermen and a member of the animal organization. The seven-person group will meet four times a year and serve three-year terms. 

City Council approved the creation of the animal control board at a meeting April 28. The board will work with aldermen in the process of selecting an organization to replace CARE by reviewing the two submitted letters of interest and developing requests for proposals from the groups, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said at the council meeting. 

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl will review the applications and make recommendations to the board. There is no set submission deadline, Evanston spokesman Patrick Deignan said. 

Twitter: @paigeleskin