Field Hockey: Northwestern coach inducted into USA Field Hockey Hall of Fame

Alex Putterman, Sports Editor

Northwestern field hockey coach Tracey Fuchs has been selected for the USA Field Hockey Hall of Fame, the organization announced last week.

Fuchs, who this fall concluded her fifth season as NU’s head coach, is part of the seven-member class that will be the first group inducted since 2004. The induction ceremony will take place June 28 in Lancaster, Pa.

“There’s nothing greater than playing for your country at the highest level,” Fuchs told NUsports.com. “It was an honor to put on my USA jersey for 17 years and to bring home medals. I was fortunate to bring home a bronze from the World Championships. Now I have the ability to give back to the game in other ways and I feel fortunate for all of the opportunities that I’ve had in the sport.”

Before she got into coaching, Fuchs was one of the greatest American field hockey players of all time. She spent 17 years on the U.S. national team, playing for two Olympic and four World Cup teams and earning USA Field Hockey Athlete of the Year honors in 1990 and 1993.

Once her playing career ended, Fuchs went into coaching, where she has also excelled. She came to NU in 2009 after more than a decade as a Michigan assistant, and has led the Wildcats to a 66-35 record, including the 2013 Big Ten title.

Twitter: @AlexPutt02