Evanston man arrested in North Shore-area heroin ring

Patrick Svitek, Reporter

An Evanston man is among four people facing drug charges following a three-month investigation into a heroin ring in the North Shore area, police said Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities allege Nikkolas Casillo, a former Wilmette resident who now lives in Chicago, supplied the drug to dealers in Chicago and the North Shore area. Casillo, of the 4400 block of West Washington Boulevard, was arrested Monday afternoon in Chicago after ordering a 17-year-old girl to bring heroin to an undercover officer, according to police.

About an hour and a half later, police arrested one of Casillo’s dealers, 23-year-old James Findlay, in a vehicle parked in the driveway of Findlay’s Glencoe home, according to authorities. Police said Findlay, of the 800 block of Greenwood Avenue, also sold heroin to undercover officers.

Authorities identified the Evanston man, 23-year-old Taylor Appelbaum, as the driver of the vehicle in which Findlay was arrested. Appelbaum, of the 1700 block of Oak Street, had prescription pills and marijuana when he was taken into custody, police said.

Casillo, an admitted “Milwaukee King” gang member, faces seven felony counts of drug charges, including one for employing a minor to deliver a controlled substance, according to authorities. Police said his bond was set Tuesday at $40,000.

Findlay is charged with one felony count each of manufacture/deliver heroin within 1,000 feet of a public park/school/church and manufacture/deliver heroin 1 to 15 grams as well as one misdemeanor count of possession of cannabis less than 2.5 grams, police said. His bail was set Tuesday at $25,000, according to authorities.

Police said Appelbaum faces three felony counts of possession of a controlled substance and one misdemeanor count of possession of less than 2.5 grams of cannabis. He was released Tuesday on a $20,000 bond, according to authorities.

Police also arrested the 17-year-old girl, who faces two counts of drug charges, according to authorities. Police said she was released to a parent and awaits a court hearing in juvenile court. 

Each of the three male suspects are scheduled to appear in court April 25, according to police. 

Twitter: @PatrickSvitek