Blotter: April 7

Ciara McCarthy, Managing Editor

Driver hits car after it blocks library’s book return

A driver purposefully hit an Evanston woman’s car on Thursday, allegedly because the car was blocking the book return in front of the main branch of the Evanston Public Library, police said.

The driver, a 65-year-old woman from Rogers Park, purposefully struck the Evanston woman’s car at about 6:30 p.m. in front of the library, 1703 Orrington Ave. A witness told police that after the driver hit the car, she drove toward the witness and nearly hit her before heading east on Church Street, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said in an email.

The driver returned to the scene and said she was upset because the car, which belongs to a 51-year-old Evanston resident, was blocking the book return, Parrott said. There was minor damage to the car, and the car’s owner decided not to pursue criminal charges.

Evanston man arrested after attempting to strike officer

Police arrested an Evanston man on Thursday afternoon after he attempted to punch a police officer, officials said.

Police responded to a disturbance call on Thursday after 4 p.m., where the resident was yelling outside of his home in the 800 block of Oakton Street. The man appeared to be intoxicated, Parrott said. Police arrested the man after he attempted to hit an officer. The man, 54, continued to resist police while being placed into custody.

He is scheduled to appear in court April 25.

Twitter: @mccarthy_ciara