Cooking and Recipes: Tiramisu

Benjamin Kraft, Recipe Blogger

Because this will be my final blog for the quarter, I thought I would leave you with something sweet to remember me by or to help you get through upcoming weeks of studying and finals. With a quick trip to Whole Foods Market or Jewel-Osco and a few pots and pans, it’s easy to make a delicious dinner in your dorm or apartment. This week, I took over the kitchen in Allison Hall to make this light and surprisingly simple delicacy.

I love chimichangas as much as the next person, but I have a weakness for a little something sweet after the main course. Tiramisu has long been my favorite dessert. If you’ve never had tiramisu, think soft cake layered with sweet whipped cream with a smooth, complex coffee flavor. I’ve never tried making it before because there is some really bad tiramisu out there. I finally decided to give it a try, and it actually turned out really well.

Two quick additional notes:

1. The hardest part about making tiramisu is getting the consistency correct. Just follow the recipe, and you’ll be fine. If it says continuously stir, just keep stirring.
  2. Don’t try to tamper with the ingredients at first. Yes, the recipe calls for rum. It’s there for a reason.

Serves 12 | Hands-on time: 1 hour | Total time: 25 hours | Source: Allrecipes

Ingredients:

Directions: 

1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well-blended.
  2. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils.
  3. Boil gently for one minute then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator for one hour.
  4. In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
  5. Whisk mascarpone into chilled yolk mixture until smooth.
  6. In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
  7. Arrange half of the soaked ladyfingers in the bottom of a 7-by-11 inch dish.
  8. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that.
  9. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours! This allows the flavors to mix and mingle, so do not serve it without allowing it to sit for a day or longer.