Vines: Bangerz tour is crazy, fun, artistic

Katy Vines, Columnist

Though Miley Cyrus sings “I guess I got no Valentine” in her song “Drive,” she did have a date for Valentine’s Day 2014. It was a crowd of screaming fans in Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Canada, at the premiere of her highly anticipated Bangerz tour.

Kickoff expectations were undoubtedly high, as Cyrus loves to surprise her audiences. With America still talking about her infamous MTV Video Music Awards performance, several months later, Cyrus was expected to create a tour that would be even more provocative and shocking.

It definitely was.

The show starts as Cyrus enters, coming down a slide made to represent her tongue. This entrance is followed by various skimpy outfits, drug-related images and raunchy dancing. Of the ideas behind her tour, Cyrus said, “Even though parents probably won’t think this, I think my show is educational for kids. … They’re going to be exposed to art most people don’t know about. People are taught to look at things so black and white, especially in small towns. I’m excited to take this tour to places where (art) like this wouldn’t be accepted, where kids wouldn’t learn about this different kind of art.”

Cyrus undoubtedly put a lot of time into producing the art, and she was correct that parents wouldn’t recognize her presentation as art. There was a huge backlash from parents after just two stops on the tour. Parents have been calling Cyrus’ record label, requesting the show be shut down. A parent of a 9-year-old girl reportedly walked out of the tour and told the label she would not subject her child to Cyrus’s “porn show.”

It’s no secret the show contains mature content, but that was expected from Cyrus. Since her VMAs performance, nearly all of her performances have involved revealing outfits and crazy themes. Promotional posters and videos for the Bangerz tour depicted Cyrus in revealing clothing and dancing provocatively. Parents are responsible for understanding the subject matter the tour would likely contain, deciding whether or not that material is appropriate for their children, and, if not, keeping them away from show.

A 9-year-old girl should not be at the concert in the first place, because Cyrus has made sure the world knows her new direction. Furthermore, for a period of the show, a Parental Advisory sticker was shown on the screen behind Cyrus, a big indicator the show’s content was not suitable for young viewers. Cyrus posted, “You can’t say I didn’t warn you. Now sit back relax & enjoy the show. #bangerztour” on Twitter, and in all fairness, she did!

Besides disgruntled parents of children who shouldn’t be at the concert in the first place, most attendees have had a positive reaction. Tons of videos flooded YouTube the day after the first show. And this week, Cyrus’ album “Bangerz” went platinum, likely aided by how awesome her tour has been so far. From the videos I’ve seen and the pictures on Cyrus’  Twitter page, the show looks like a lot of fun. I have tickets to see the show in Chicago, and I can’t wait. People who are old enough to appreciate the effort Cyrus puts into making her show fun for everyone, and who don’t need their parents to supervise them at the show, should definitely grab tickets while they last.

Katy Vines is a Weinberg freshman. She can be reached at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].