Alumna brings new season of ‘Suits’ to campus

Ina Yang/Daily Senior Staffer
Northwestern alum Meghan Markle (Communication ‘03) speaks at Ryan Auditorium on Tuesday night as part of the college tour for “Suits.” Markle plays Rachel Zane on the show.

About 600 fans of the USA Network series “Suits” filled the Ryan Auditorium on Tuesday for a screening and panel discussion featuring two stars from the cast, including Northwestern alumna Meghan Markle.

The show, which depicts the ups and downs of a fictional New York law firm, will resume its third season March 6. In a marketing effort by USA Network, cast members are visiting seven universities, interacting with fans and giving early screenings of the mid-season premiere.

The NU leg of the tour is fourth in the lineup. Because not all cast members come to every stop, this was the first for Markle (Communication ’03), who plays the aspiring paralegal Rachel Zane.

“It’s my alma mater, so I’m really happy to be back here,” Markle told The Daily. “I forgot what it feels like to be on a college campus.”

Lines opened in front of the auditorium in Technological Institute at 5:30 p.m. for students to get access passes and pick up “Suits”-themed sunglasses and shirts. Refreshments were served, and trivia games were played until the auditorium opened an hour before the screening, which began at 9:3o p.m.

“Suits” viewer Mert Can Yavuz said he looked forward to the event.

“It’s the best legal drama since ‘Boston Legal,’” the McCormick sophomore said.

The panel was supposed to end by 11 p.m., but Markle let questioning continue out of affection for her alma mater.

Students referenced Markle’s NU ties with their questions and posters. One sign featured Markle’s composite photo taken when she was in NU’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Markle also revealed her freshman year dorm, North Mid-Quads Hall, after a student asked.

Markle said she greatly admires the independent paralegal who she plays in the show.

“What I love so much is how they created these female archetypes that are not just the women behind the men,” Markle told The Daily. “Most of these guys need these female characters to anchor them and sort of propel them forward.”

Rick Hoffman told The Daily his role as Louis Litt is very layered and one he will likely never get to play again.

“It’s very difficult for me to read things that he does,” Hoffman said. “It’s heartbreaking at times … I’m right there with everyone (who) watches.”

Weinberg freshman Francesca Pietrantonio said she was a fan of the show and thought the event provided a unique opportunity to see the cast.

“It’s so witty,” Pietrantonio said. “The characters are all so interesting. I like all of them. They each have their own thing.”

Twitter:
@CaptainIna0328