Northwestern alumnus, trustee donates $25 million to University

Ally Mutnick, Campus Editor

Northwestern trustee Neil Bluhm (Law ‘62) made a $25 million donation benefitting the Northwestern School of Law and other NU programs, the University announced Tuesday.

Bluhm, a casino and real estate developer, allocated $15 million of the gift to the law school. Of the donation to the law school, the University said $6 million will remain unrestricted. The rest of the funds will go toward fundraising, a legal clinic named after Bluhm and loan repayments for NU law students who work in public service or government jobs. The University called it the largest donation in the law school’s history.

“It’s a major commitment that will lend critical support to the law school’s bold leadership, innovative programs and distinctive scholarship in American jurisprudence,” President Morton Schapiro said in a news release.

The gift will also benefit the Bienen School of Music, the Holocaust Educational Foundation, Northwestern Medicine and Northwestern Memorial Hospital,the University said.

A NU trustee since 1986, Bluhm pledged $7 million to the University in 1999. He is the benefactor of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

“I am extremely pleased to support Northwestern University and the law school with this commitment,” Bluhm said, in a news release. “And I am especially proud to assist with the important work of the law school.”

—Ally Mutnick

About the Writer
Ally Mutnick, In Focus Editor
Ally is a Medill senior whose past positions include campus editor, development and recruitment editor and assistant campus editor. She is from Washington, D.C., and has interned at Washington City Paper. She has also served as a USA TODAY Collegiate Correspondent. Her other campus commitments include Dance Marathon and Medill Media Teens. Twitter: @allymutnick Email: allymutnick@u.northwestern.edu Comments