Living for the city: Unique coffee shops in Chicago

Coffee is more than a drink. It’s basically a way of life. When you order a cup of coffee, you lose all of your spare change, yet still come out feeling as rich as the coffee beans ground into your cup. Why is that? It is the coffee culture experience. The jazz-with-an-indie-twist tunes play as you absorb the comfort of the couches, artistry of the decor and peaceful company of others. The barista greets you by name and begins preparing your coffee just the way you like. Coffeehouses provide the perfect setting for intellectual conversation, catching up with an old friend or even meeting a complete stranger. Visiting a cafe is truly an immeasurable experience, however routine it may seem, and it is also one of the best ways to taste the flavor of Chicago. Next time you grab a cup, make sure it is in the city. Here are some coffeehouses in Chicago that I recommend since there is more to life than Starbucks.

1. Wormhole Coffee

Time travel back to the’80s at Wormhole Coffee, located in Chicago’s famous Wicker Park neighborhood. From Ronald Reagan cutouts to “Back to the Future” movie posters, this shop knows its 1980s memorabilia. And it knows how to brew coffee even better. Try the seasonal Cosby Classic, a banana-pudding latte with vanilla wafers. 

1462 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago
Open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.

2. Star Lounge Coffee Bar

Food and Wine magazine named  Star Lounge, in Humboldt Park, one of America’s Best Coffee Bars. The long wooden bar makes Star Lounge a hub for social activity, and the trendy burnt orange walls reflect the creativity of each uniquely crafted coffee. Be sure to try the Gingersnap Trainwreck, a beverage made of espresso, cinnamon, cayenne, honey and more delicious ingredients.

2521 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago
Open Monday-Friday: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

3. Senem’s Coffee House

Ever had Turkish coffee? Try it for the first time at Senem’s Coffee House in Lakeview. Make sure to drink your coffee with an order of baklava.

3508 N. Broadway St., Chicago
Open Thursday-Sunday: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.