Recreating the Horror: Top five scary movie remakes

Source: MCTdirect
“Carrie” is the newest remake in the horror genre. The movie opened to mixed reviews.

The remake of the legendary horror classic “Carrie” (1976) has opened to polarized reviews from both critics and audiences. Most times, remakes tend to be flimsy excuses for a lack of original ideas or easy box-office success. But sometimes a remake turns out to be a highly praised reinterpretation of its predecessor, standing out on its own as a notable contribution to the horror genre. Here are five horror movie remakes that got it just right.

1. “Dawn of the Dead” (2004)

In an outbreak of crappy, gratuitous zombie flicks, Zack Snyder’s feature debut stands out as both a commercially and critically successful installment in the zombie franchise. In this stylish reimagining of the zombie apocalypse, wildly popularized by the haunting images of the one and only George A. Romero, visionary director Snyder successfully creates a polished, trigger-happy action horror that differentiates itself from the somber tone of the original. The movie also changes the trend of flesh-eating zombies as screaming “sprinters” rather than the sluggish moaners of the Romero times.

2. “Evil Dead” (2013)

This remake is definitely not for the fainthearted. The new “Evil Dead” shocks its audience with unrelenting violence and terrifying tension that replaces the absurd humor and over-the-top slashing violence that characterized Sam Raimi’s original. You won’t see Bruce Campbell’s silly bloodstained grin or the creative special effects that made the original shine, but this remake will certainly make you cringe with fear and disgust — prepare yourself for a gore fest of flying limbs and raining blood. Groovy!

3. “The Ring” (2002)

Forever iconized in pop culture as “that scary Japanese flick where that chick with long black hair climbs out of a TV screen,” the original “Ringu” is considered to a milestone film in the Japanese horror genre. Gore Verbinski’s Western remake delivers the same sense of mystery and nail-biting horror but with elegant and refined shots that replace the gritty, low-budget quality of the original. The success of this remake spawned the “J-horror remake” frenzy that gave birth to a series of forgettable attempts at recreating the Japanese terror.

4. “Fright Night” (2011)

Colin Farrell as a charming, murderous vampire-next-door? The remake of the low-budget 1985 horror-comedy proved to be a highly successful entertainment piece. It might not be as frightening as other movies on this list, but you won’t be able to resist all the 3D fun and sexy vampire violence. The movie does feel a little more campy than necessary, but all the gore and violence (in 3D!) should make up for it.

5. “The Crazies” (2010)

Jump scares, explosions and giant slicing tractors — what else do you need for a good zombie flick? Another remake of zombie master George A. Romero’s 1973 shocker, this stylish new remake presents a massively fun ride that replaces the original’s thoughtful and darkly satirical tone with simple violence and terror. Although it gets quite mundane and predictable as the movie progresses, the sheer horror will keep you on the edge of your seat until the climactic ending.