Fountain Square Art Festival held for first time after July Fourth

Patrick Svitek/Daily Senior Staffer
An acoustic band plays Sunday afternoon on the main stage at the Fountain Square Art Festival. More than 160 vendors set up shop Sunday at the annual market in downtown Evanston.

The Fountain Square Art Festival took over downtown Evanston this weekend, the first time it was held after Independence Day in more than three decades.

“We thought people would be away for the Fourth of July,” said Elaine Kemna-Irish, executive director of the Evanston Chamber of Commerce, as she surveyed the crowds Sunday afternoon. “But they’re here.”

Kemna-Irish said the festival was pushed back due in part to Northwestern’s academic year, which ended later than usual with the commencement ceremony in late June. For the past 33 years, the festival has been scheduled for the third or fourth week of June, when vendors who stay overnight for the two-day event usually have no problem finding a hotel room.

After this weekend’s turnout — more than 3,000 programs were distributed — Kemna-Irish said she is considering keeping the festival after the holiday.

More than 160 juried artists lined Sherman Avenue and Church Street on Sunday afternoon as an acoustic band performed on the main stage at the festival’s south end near Davis Street.

Vendors offered mixed reviews of the new dates, with some saying they were drawn to the festival for that reason.

Janra Jewelry owner Jan Raven said she has not shown off her products in the Chicago area in a few years and thought coming to Evanston would be a worthwhile “experiment.”

“It’s on my calendar,” she said. “If I do a show after July Fourth, this will be the one to do.”

Other artists returned to the festival for its prime location in the city, steps away from the Northwestern campus and in the busiest blocks of downtown Evanston.

“I absolutely love this spot,” said Sonia Kuhlmann, owner of Eskay Handcrafted Artful Bags and Other Fine Things. “It’s just very easy access.”

As temperatures crept into the high 80s on Sunday afternoon, some vendors noticed a drop-off in foot traffic.

“It’s one of those things. It’s hard to predict,” said photographer David Vincent, who was selling for his first time in the festival.

Other vendors were taking the heat in stride.

“When it’s hot like this, it’s hard for people to think of wool products,” Kuhlmann said, pointing to her brightly colored, fuzzy purses. “I’ve been selling, though.”

Summer editor Patrick Svitek can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek.