Evanston reorganizes public works, parks departments to focus on forestry

Evanston will re-organize two of its departments to focus more on forestry, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz announced Monday.

The Department of Public Works will assume responsibility for forestry operations, park maintenance, facility maintenance and facility planning — programs previously handled by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services. Paul D’Agostino, who has served as the city’s superintendent of parks/forestry and facilities management since 1995, will become assistant director of public works/forestry in the public works department.

“D’Agostino’s expertise is in forestry, and Evanston needs him to devote his full attention in addressing the critical issues facing our city’s urban forest,” Bobkiewicz said in a news release. “Moving forestry operations to the Department of Public Works gives D’Agostino and his team ready access to complementary resources of staff and equipment to assist in these efforts.”

Jim Maiworm was appointed assistant director of public works/operations and facilities, and he will assume D’Agostino’s responsibilities for facility maintenance. Maiworm previously served as streets and sanitation superintendent.

Homayoon Pirooz, assistant director of public works/engineering and infrastructure, will take on D’Agostino’s responsibilities for facility planning.

The job of park maintenance will be reviewed by D’Agostino, Maiworm and Suzette Robinson, the director of public works. Responsibility will be decided in the coming weeks, the city manager’s office said.