Blotter: Jan. 7

Joseph Diebold and Manuel Rapada

Glenview man arrested in connection to April home invasion

Evanston Police charged a 51-year-old Glenview resident Dec. 19 with one count of home invasion in the theft of artwork worth up to $200,000.

On April 13, 2012, an Evanston couple were knocked to the ground and duct taped while valuable paintings were taken from their home on the 2200 block of Central Street. In the original April news release, EPD said the men left the residence in a small, white, box-style truck.

In November, Evanston Police received a “substantial lead” in their investigation. Police later recovered two paintings at a Morton Grove coin shop, according to a news release. After establishing a person of interest, a victim was able to identify Michael Karabatsis as one man involved in the incident.

Police are still looking for two other people involved in the home invasion.

— Manuel Rapada

Burger King in west Evanston robbed of cash, coins

A west Evanston Burger King was robbed at gunpoint Wednesday of approximately $1,000.

The restaurant, 1829 Dempster St., had just opened for business when, at approximately 6:10 a.m., a single armed man entered and demanded money from the restaurant’s safe from two employees, according to a news release. After receiving the money, the man left the restaurant through a rear service door. One of the employees alerted Evanston Police, whose detectives are reviewing video footage.

— Joseph Diebold

View Jan. 7 in a larger map

About the Writers
Joseph Diebold, Web Editor
Joseph Diebold is one of The Daily’s managing editors and a Weinberg junior. His past positions include Campus editor, Opinion editor and Web editor. He is from Portland, Ore., and has interned at ThinkProgress and Partisans Media. Email: josephdiebold2015@u.northwestern.edu Comments
Manuel Rapada, Web Editor
by Manuel Rapada