Wildcats lead Spartans after sloppy first half

Meghan White/Daily Senior Staffer
Northwestern defensive lineman Dean Lowry (94) brings down Michigan State quarterback Andrew Maxwell at the Spartans’ three-yard line. It was the only sack of the half for the Wildcats.

Jeff Budzien hit two field goals to give Northwestern a 6-5 lead at halftime over Michigan State.

The Wildcats took the lead with a field goal on their opening drive, but after forcing a Spartans fumble, junior quarterback Kain Colter was sacked in the end zone for a safety. Michigan State kicker Dan Conroy added a field goal to give the Spartans a 5-3 lead in the second quarter. However, Budzien hit a 43-yard attempt with less than a minute left to give the Cats the lead again.

NU’s running game has been held in check by the Michigan State defense, but the Cats have 88 yards through the air, which has helped them move down the field. The Spartans have been running back Le’Veon Bell, who has 52 rushing yards. Michigan State quarterback Andrew Maxwell has 136 passing yards and Colter has 67 yards through the air.

Junior running back Venric Mark got six carries for nine yards, but he left the game with an undisclosed injury and his return is unknown.

— Josh Walfish