Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

British magazine: Northwestern among world’s 20 best universities

Northwestern was recently named one of the top 20 universities in the world by a British magazine.

The Oct. 4 issue of Times Higher Education had NU coming in at No. 19, just behind Cornell University and the University College London. Topping the list were the California Institute of Technology, the University of Oxford and Stanford University.

The rankings, which are conducted by Thomson Reuters, identify the top universities across the globe based on 13 performance indicators in five areas, including teaching, volume of research, influence of research, industry income and international outlook.

Of the five areas, NU performed the best in the “Citations” category, which assesses the impact of colleges’ research.

For the organization’s ranking for reputation, which is topped by Harvard University, Northwestern came in at No. 35, just below New York University and Duke University.

The world rankings report comes out less than a month after NU secured the status of 12th best university in the United States for the fifth year in a row, according to U.S. News & World Report. The magazine also placed NU at No. 13 for engineering schools and 23rd for universities with the best value.

The Times Higher Education uses the only ranking system that evaluates institutions across these core components of research institutions, according to the magazine’s website.

— Lauren Caruba