Evanston printing service gives $10,000 to area nonprofits

Curts+Cafe+founder+Susan+Trischmann+and+Allegras+Frank+Muns+and+Kyle+Kurz+of+Allegra+map+out+a+plan+for+Trischmanns+marketing+needs.+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+
Photo courtesy of Allegra Printing
Curt’s Cafe founder Susan Trischmann and Allegra’s Frank Muns and Kyle Kurz of Allegra map out a plan for Trischmann’s marketing needs.

Evanston’s Allegra Print & Imaging gave $10,000 in grants to 15 nonprofit organizations through its annual Footprint Fund Sept. 30.

Winners received grants in the range of $200 to $1,000 worth of service from Allegra, a company that specializes in graphic design, printing, copying, bindery and signage work. The grants were awarded to help nonprofit organizations enhance their images, expand their services and extend their printing budgets.

This year’s winners include Evanston Symphony Orchestra , Connections for the Homeless, Shore Community Services, Youth Job Center and the YMCA.

Craig Douglas is the marketing and business manager of the Allegra company in San Antonio, Texas. He said the Footprint Fund has been around for many years, and this is the third year the Evanston company has made grants totaling $10,000.

“The Allegra company in Evanston decides how much the awards will be for its local community,” Douglas said. “And they usually decide on a lot.”

He said the corporate Allegra office started the Footprint fund to increase awareness of nonprofit organizations by changing their marketing and advertising platforms. He added that the fund is unique because it provides free service to nonprofits. He said he hopes the gift has a longer-lasting effect on the organizations.

“Those grant awards are the seed that causes those nonprofits to step out and do new things from a marketing perspective,” Douglas said. “We give back in a way that’s broader than just cash.”

Pete Morgan is a new graphic designer at the Evanston Allegra. He said Allegra provides many services for the Northwestern community as well as area nonprofits. The company is currently working on the NU basketball programs.

“My favorite part about working here is getting to do something new every day with many different companies,” Morgan added.

He said the Footprint Fund will allow Allegra’s current customers and other Evanston residents to learn more about the nonprofits in their community.

Douglas added that due to the success of this fund, Allegra launched the Nonprofit Challenge contest Sept. 1. People can log onto nonprofitchallenge.com and nominate their favorite nonprofit. The nonprofit that receives the most likes on Facebook will receive $2,500 in free service from the Allegra closest to it.

“Evanston residents should apply,” Douglas said. “It’s a way of giving back to the community.”