Northwestern takes 10th place in online ranking of school traditions

Rafi Letzter/Daily senior staffer
Fans in the Northwestern University student section at Ryan Field give Vanderbilt the claw during a Sept. 8 Wildcats victory. Traditions like this earned NU a top spot in a recent ranking.

From students releasing finals frustration via scream three times a year to a day filled with music to honor the armadillo, Northwestern’s traditions have earned a top spot in a new set of rankings.

A college review website has ranked NU as number ten on its list of 2013 “Top 10 Unique Traditions.”

The University gained its place on the list for football game traditions, the Primal Scream and Mayfest events, according to the website Unigo.com.

“These are decided by votes among students,” wrote Katherine Tang, Unigo.com community outreach manager, in an email to The Daily. “It gives a more accurate representation of what that particular school is like based on its rankings and description.”

The rankings are based on votes from more than 30,000 students, according to Unigo.com.

The list describes the NU tradition of the “growl and claw” students do at football games to support their Wildcats when the opposing team has possession. It also depicts the “harrowing sound” of the Primal Scream at 9 p.m. on the Sunday before every finals week.

The post also mentions Mayfest and its infamous end-of-the-year concert, Dillo Day. The tradition of the Lakefill event began in 1972, when students from Texas wanted to celebrate the armadillo from their home state. In the past, artists such as Steve Aoki, Nelly, the Black Eyed Peas and Gavin DeGraw have performed at Dillo Day. 

Virginia Tech took first place in the website’s rankings for its “Cadet vs. Civilian Snowball Fight,” a battle that begins during the first snowfall of the year on the school’s Drillfield, according to the university’s website. The students use water balloon launchers, and cadets often use their military training and “strike in more organized formation,” according to Unigo.com.

Tufts University, Occidental College, Vassar College, University of Connecticut, University of Colorado, Boulder, Barnard College, Reed College and Cornell University placed ninth to second in the rankings.

In addition to ranking schools’ raditions, ranking categories include Happiest Students, Famous Faculty, Aspiring Entrepreneurs, Unique Traditions, Fifty Shades of Cray, WiFi? WiFi Not?, The New Ivies 2013, Hipster Colleges, Best LGBT Scenes, International Love, Famous Recent Grads and Social Net-Working It.

Unigo.com targets students who are preparing for college, wrote Tang in the email. The website offers a network of guidance counselors and links prospective students with current college students, she added.

“In a way, you could say that Unigo.com is a live community-turned-guidebook for students to prepare for their higher education,” Tang wrote.

— Cat Zakrzewski