Big Ten Power Rankings: Ranking the RBs

This is the third part in our Big Ten Unit Rankings series, which comes out every Monday and Thursday.

1. Wisconsin Badgers

This might be the most obvious No. 1 of any unit ranking in the Big Ten this season, as Wisconsin returns the 2011 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and Heisman finalist Montee Ball.

Ball led the country with 1,923 rushing yards and 33 touchdowns last season, breaking the Big Ten single-season scoring record. His 6.3 yards-per-carry average was the best in the conference, as well.

Ball’s production may drop off a little bit because quarterback Danny O’Brien won’t be as much of a threat to run as Russell Wilson was in 2011. However, expect ball to rank among the national leaders in rushing again and be on the short list for the Heisman Trophy.

2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Rex Burkhead was the Huskers’ primary weapon on offense in 2011, racking up 1,357 yards and 15 touchdowns. He doesn’t have game breaking speed, elite athleticism, or bruising power, but Burkhead is the quintessential bellcow back-an every-down workhorse that can be counted on for 25-30 carries every Saturday.

A similarly productive 2012 will be in order for the junior, as quarterback Taylor Martinez has shown little improvement during his two-year tenure under center. With Martinez lacking, if not totally inept, in the throwing department, Burkhead will get his fair share of carries again.

Sophomore Ameer Abdullah should see an increased workload, having proved himself on special teams as a freshman.

3. Michigan State Spartans

After splitting carries with Edwin Baker last season, Le’Veon Bell will carry the load for Michigan State this year.

Bell rushed for 948 yards in 2011, but broke the 100-yard mark just twice. However, he averaged 5.2 yards per carry, and with seasons of experience under his belt, he has a chance to be one of the Big Ten’s premier backs in 2012.

The Spartans will likely call on Bell a lot at the beginning of the year, as they try to break in new quarterback Andrew Maxwell and a young group of receivers. Defenses will be expecting run, but with a talented offensive line and a breakout year under his belt, Bell should be just fine shouldering the load.

4. Michigan Wolverines

In year two of Al Borges’ pro-style system, expect to see less designed runs for Denard Robinson and more touches for Fitzgerald Touissant, Vincent Smith and Stephen Hopkins.

Touissant was the best of the bunch last season, breaking out for a combined 450 yards over the Wolverines’ last three regular season games. He should see his workload increase this year, with Junior Hemingway-last year’s leading receiver-now a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

While there should be a greater emphasis on the run game this Fall, don’t expect Borges to take the ball out of Robinson’s potential Hesiman-trophy winning hands all that often. Touissant will get his carries, but Robinson may equal, if not surpass, his rushing total (1,176) from 2011.

5. Penn State Nittany Lions

Among all of the distractions for Penn State on and off the field last year, Silas Redd quietly put together an impressive year for the Nittany Lions, rushing for 1,241 yards in 2011.

Redd was a one-man show for the PSU offense, which struggled mightily last season and could never find a rhythm in the passing game.

That could be the same story in 2012, as there likely won’t be much of an improvement at quarterback or receiver. While Redd could improve, his production may be even worse due to such a bad supporting cast.

6. Ohio State Buckeyes

Braxton Miller appears to be the perfect fit for Urban Meyer’s up-tempo, spread attack, which doesn’t necessarily need elite running back play to flourish. Sure, Carlos Hyde and Jordan Hall will form a formidable backfield duo-not to mention highly-touted freshman Bri’onte Dunn-but, with Miller’s get-away speed, why even bother handing the ball off?

This isn’t the Tressel ball of old, and in no place will that be more evident than the marginalized roles of the Buckeyes’ running backs. That said, if Miller struggles, it doesn’t hurt to have a talented crop of backs capable of taking over for a series or two.

Much like their hated rivals from “up north”, the Buckeyes should and probably will rely on their quarterback to shoulder the bulk of their rushing workload.

7. Purdue Boilermakers

Purdue split its carries between Ralph Bolden and Akeem Shavers last season and the running duo quietly put together a successful year, collectively rushing for 1,193 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The Boilermakers have plenty returning on offense in 2012 and Bolden and Shavers will be called upon to play a bigger role as coach Danny Hope shuffles around his three quarterbacks.

Both running backs need to be more consistent, but if they can build on a promising 2011 campaign, Purdue could surprise some people in the Leaders Division.

8. Northwestern Wildcats

Kain Colter led the Wildcats with 654 rushing yards last season, lining up at quarterback and wide receiver. This year, he’ll be under center full time, or at least most of the time, but that doesn’t mean he won’t eclipse his rushing total from last season.

Gone is Jacob Schmidt, last year’s leading rusher (among running backs), which opens the door for talented, but unproven rising sophomore Treyvon Green to have a breakout year in 2012.

In NU’s spread offense, Green won’t be asked to do all that much, especially with hyper-mobile qb like Colter, but he has the potential to be one of the better backs in this conference.

9. Iowa Hawkeyes

AIRBHG. That’s “Angry Iowa Running Back Hating God” for people who aren’t familiar, and that’s what some Hawkeyes fans have taken to blaming for their long line of running back struggles.

Last year’s leading rusher, Marcus Coker, transferred to Stony Brook following a sexual assault investigation and suspension – he was never charged – and his heir apparent, Jordan Canzeri, tore his ACL in spring practice.

Iowa turned to De’Andre Johnson and Damon Bullock for the remainder of the spring, but could be led by two true freshmen next season in Greg Garmon and Barkley Hill. Whoever starts at running back – it’s likely to be a committee – the Hawkeyes’ backfield will be very green this fall.

10. Indiana Hoosiers

Rising junior Stephen Houston was one of the bright spots in an otherwise lackluster 2011 season for the Hoosiers, compiling 802 yards and eight touchdowns. Many of those, of course, came against second-team defenses, but let us not be quick to rule out Houston’s viability as an upper-tier Big Ten back.

The junior could see his number of carries decrease this season, especially with Tre Roberson piloting Kevin Wilson’s spread attack. The dual-threat quarterback may be the Hoosiers’ best athlete, and the best candidate for a 1,000-yd rushing campaign.

Even if Houston doesn’t build upon his impressive 2011 campaign, he can at least serve as a decoy for Roberson, who-with the Hoosiers’ subpar offensive line-could struggle in his first full year under center.

11. Illinois Fighting Illini

With the loss of Jason Ford at running back, Illinois’ running game will rely mainly on quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase, who led the team in rushing last season with 624 yards. He and Ford combined for a nice 1-2 punch out of the backfield in 2011, even though it wasn’t a traditional running combo.

Troy Pollard is also gone, meaning Donovonn Young and Josh Ferguson will likely split carries in 2012. Young showed promise last year, rushing for 451 yards on 87 carries.

It’s tough to know what to expect from such a young team, especially under a new head coach and a new system, but Young certainly has the talent to complement Scheelhaase in the Illinois running game.

12. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Risings junior Donnell Kirkwood tops the Gophers’ depth chart in 2012 after having rushed for just 229 yards and three touchdowns last season. Whether or not he improves may depend on the outcome of the Marqueis Gray-Philip Nelson quarterback battle.

If Gray remains the starter-he’s my early favorite-Kirkwood is in for another sub-par year. Gray lead the Gophers in rushing last season and will likely do so again if he’s given the nod over the unproven, but more accurate Nelson.

If Nelson gets the starting job, Jerry Kill will be more inclined to use Kirkwood, who has the requisite size and speed to excel in a more run-heavy offense.

Check out our team power rankings here.

Check out our quarterbacks power rankings here.