Theater Review: The Piccolo Theater does Anton Chekhov’s ‘The Cherry Orchard’

The Main Street El stop has an especially unique feature which is unnoticeable to the typical passerby, a tiny theater hidden next to a coffee shop. The Piccolo Theatre performs full-length, offbeat productions with dedicated community theater casts. Its interpretation of “The Cherry Orchard,” a play by Anton Chekhov, combines physical comedy with the intense drama intrinsic in all Russian theater.

Liubov, mother of Anya and Varya, returns home after five years away in Paris to her lovely upper class Russian home and her cherry orchard. Accustomed to a rich lifestyle, especially after her time in Paris, Liubov carelessly spends the family money. However, upon her return, businessman Lopakhin informs her that her cherry orchard is going up for auction at the end of the summer if she cannot pay her debts. Liubov and her brother Gayev are inwardly devastated, and the whole family begins to search for ways to keep the cherry orchard. Lopakhin suggests cutting down the orchard and turning the land into leisure homes for rent, but Liubov cannot stomach the idea, as she is bound to the orchard by many painful and joyous memories. Gayev tries to get a loan, but fails. The family continues through the summer, struggling to ignore the fact that their entire future rests upon one day.

The Piccolo Theatre’s production has many strengths that overshadow the few flaws present. The stage is extremely small, but the actors still manage to maneuver well so the entire audience can easily see what is happening. Although at times the stage gets crowded because of the size of the cast, this usually does not detract from the main action on stage. The set is very unique and appropriate. The stage itself is surrounded by lace curtains, which the actors tie in different ways to signify a time change.

Although the translation of the play seemed repetitive and old-fashioned at times, the actors conveyed emotion well across the board and easily pulled the audience into their little Russian world. Many parts of the play are extremely tragic, but the director does a wonderful job of keeping a light-hearted vein running throughout the production when appropriate. He relies mainly on physical comedy, which is almost a sophistic variety of slapstick.

“The Cherry Orchard” is truly a delightful way to spend a weekend night. The Piccolo Theatre in itself is worth a visit merely for the novelty of the location. The show continues to run until May 5 and is only an El stop away.

-Megan Bounds