Lost in the Trees rouses Evanston crowd with mix of folk, classical music

Providing a mix of contemporary folk and classical orchestral sounds, musical group Lost in the Trees played for a crowd of 200 Wednesday night at the Society for the Preservation of Art and Culture in Evanston’s concert hall, 1245 Chicago Ave.

The North Carolina-based band released their second album, “A Church That Fits Our Needs,” on March 20. The non-linear collection celebrates the life of songwriter Ari Picker’s mother, an artist who struggled with mental illness. The band was also featured on National Public Radio last month.

Jake Samuels, SPACE’s talent buyer, said he invited the band because he was a big fan of their music.

“That’s why we do all of our music,” Samuels said. “They’re incredibly moving. I don’t believe you can listen to it and not have a reaction.”

The night opened with Seattle-based Poor Moon, which features two members of Fleet Foxes. Their distinct act included whistling in harmony with soft guitar chords and joking about Chicago pizza in between songs.

Lost in the Trees then picked up the pace for the crowd of both old and young with a collage of acoustics, guitar and strings, with forms ranging from solo to a mini-orchestra.

The night ended with “All Alone in An Empty House,” a quiet song that drew the crowd into a reflective mood.

Weinberg junior Eric Johnson, who has followed the band for two years, said he was impressed by the concert.

“I’m in awe of their complexity and subtlety,” Johnson said. “On one level it’s incredibly intimate; on the next level it’s a grand orchestral piece.”

Nia Amandes, SPACE’s manager, said the venue aims to provide an “intimate listening room” for audiences of all ages.

“It’s not your classical music club,” Amandes said. “At the same time, it’s not like going to a jazz club where you’re not allowed to talk. We want people to have a lot of fun.”

SPACE will feature the Preservation Hall Jazz Band of New Orleans on April 10 and will provide a discount to Northwestern students for the 10 p.m. show.

This article has been updated to reflect the following correction: A previous version incorrectly stated the name of the opening act, Poor Moon, and Poor Moon’s home town. The Daily regrets the error.