City will raise parking fines by $5

Evanston aldermen approved two parking-related measures Monday that would collectively generate more than $1 million in revenue for the city. The provisions effectively amended the city’s proposed 2012 budget, which must be adopted by Nov. 28.

In an 8-1 vote, city council members supported a motion to amend that tentative budget and hike the hourly rate on parking meters by 25 cents. By a 5-4 margin in another vote, they moved to raise parking fines from $10 to $15.

The revenue generated through these motions over nine months would be $525,00 and $530,000, respectively, said city manager Wally Bobkiewicz.

Ald. Coleen Burrus (9th) said she favored raising the parking meter rates in areas with pay-and-display meters. Credit cards are accepted at those meters.

“I don’t think people are so concerned about the amount,” said Burrus, who voted in the majority on the parking meter motion. “It’s carrying all of the coins around that’s an issue. If we start with the places you can use a credit card, that seems to be more palatable.”

Ald. Judy Fiske (1st) railed against the motion, arguing rates should be made more equitable across the city. Downtown Evanston businesses have already been plagued by consumers shopping for less time, she said.

“I’m just concerned there hasn’t been enough input solicited from downtown non-restaurant business owners,” Fiske said.

Businesses in downtown Evanston are spread out unevenly, making it more difficult to attract clientele, Fiske said. Increasing meter rates, she added, might further exacerbate the issue by driving stores out of the district.

In city council members’ discussion over the proposed increase of parking fines, Bobkiewicz said the most frequent parking fine is the $10 meter violation. Burrus’ amendment to increase all the parking fines except those related to expired meters was passed in the motion.

Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) was more skeptical of the revenue estimate of $530,000 that Bobkiewicz cited, saying the city has not been effectively collecting fines and fees thus far.

“I just don’t see a point in raising the fine of something people aren’t going to pay anyway,” Rainey said.

To address her concern, Bobkiewicz said the current form of the 2012 budget includes a full-time position solely dedicated to ensuring fines are paid.

At the meeting, the aldermen also voted to retain the four forestry workers whose positions were proposed to be eliminated, a move that constitutes a $140,000 net expense. They also supported Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl’s recommendation to increase sanitation service charges to promote recycling, hiking the amount to $2 for a large can and $1 for a small can.

City council members will continue deliberating Evanston’s 2012 budget 6:30 p.m. today at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St.