Student robbed Saturday night near Shepard Residential College

A Northwestern student was robbed Saturday night on Sheridan Road near University Place, according to a University emergency notification Sunday morning.

The student was approached from behind and then punched in the face before the subject grabbed the student’s smart phone and fled the scene, according to the release.

The report said the robbery took between the 600 and 700 blocks of University Place. Shepard Residential College is located at 626 University Place.

An emergency notification was originally sent to students via email at about 3 a.m. Sunday, and another notification was sent about an hour later detailing the student’s description of the subject.

“Male African American, 18 to 22 years of age, approximately 6′ 1″ to 6′ 2″ tall, approximately 180 lbs., average build, wearing a multi-colored hat with stripes and blue jeans,” the release said.

The entire text of the most recent emergency notice can be read below. Check back for more updates throughout the day.

“On Saturday Oct. 22, 2011, at approximately 11:33 p.m., a male Northwestern University student was walking southbound on Sheridan Road near University Place. A male subject approached the victim from behind and asked him what time it was. The student pulled out his smart phone and informed the subject of the time and kept walking, turning westbound on University Place.

As the student was walking between the 600 and 700 blocks of University Place, the subject again approached him from behind and grabbed him. The subject demanded that the victim turn over his smart phone. The subject stated that he had a knife, but no knife was ever displayed. The subject then proceeded to punch the victim in the face, snatch the phone from out of his hands and push him down. The subject then fled westbound on University Place and then southbound on Sherman Avenue. The victim chased after the offender but lost him as he approached the downtown Evanston area.

The victim contacted the Evanston Police who responded along with the Northwestern Police Department. A search of the area by both departments for the subject was not successful. The victim declined medical treatment. The Evanston Police are currently investigating this incident.

SUSPECT’S DESCRIPTION: The victim described the subject as follows

Male African American, 18 to 22 years of age, approximately 6′ 1″ to 6′ 2″ tall, approximately 180 lbs., average build, wearing a multi-colored hat with stripes and blue jeans.

University Police reminds all community members to report suspicious activities/persons immediately to the University Police or Evanston Police by dialing 911 or by utilizing a Blue Light Emergency Telephone. If you have any information that would assist this investigation, please contact the Evanston Police Department at (847) 866-5000.”