Blotter: Oct. 20

Former Sodexo employee banned from NU campus

University Police officers were dispatched to Sargent Hall, 2245 Sheridan Road, on Tuesday in response to a report of assault, Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said.

Officers spoke to a Sodexo manager, who stated a former employee entered his basement office at approximately 9:20 a.m. to pick up a check. When the manager said the check wasn’t ready yet because it hadn’t been shipped out from Sodexo’s corporate headquarters, the ex-employee raised his voice.

The ex-employee allegedly stated, “I’ll be back tomorrow, and if my check isn’t here, I’ll show you,” according to the manager.

An assistant working in the office heard the man’s yelling and was concerned about her own safety, McAleer said. The manager said the ex-employee never made any physical threats against him, but his bodily gestures and loud voice made them feel there was a threat.

Officers told the ex-employee he wasn’t allowed on campus for any reason but will either be contacted when his check is ready to be picked up or the check will be mailed to him.

Suspicious person caused disturbance at Alice Millar Chapel

Officers received a call from a staff member Tuesday at Alice Millar Chapel, 1870 Sheridan Road, in regards to a suspicious person, McAleer said.

The staff member said she discovered a 59-year-old man inside the chaplain’s office when the chaplain wasn’t there. When she told him the chaplain wouldn’t return until 2:30 p.m. and he wasn’t allowed to wait inside the office, the man allegedly started yelling about God and swinging his crutch around, she said.

The staff member told officers she was uncomfortable with his actions and told him not to return under any circumstances.

Officers met with the man and advised him chaplain services were normally meant for students, faculty and staff, and that he was not allowed to return to the University.

– Susan Du