Argument on school ground led to stabbing

An Evanston woman was stabbed with a knife on Evanston Township High School grounds Tuesday, according to a news release from the Evanston Police Department.

Police responded to ETHS, 1600 Dodge Ave., at approximately 7:50 p.m. in response to a stabbing. Once there, they located a juvenile female near the running track behind the school.

She had three non-life threatening stab wounds in her back and left shoulder. Evanston Fire & Life-Safety Services paramedics treated and transported the girl to a local hospital.

During their investigations on scene, police identified a suspect as Adria Joi Marjorie Watkins, who had known the girl for 10 years.

They discovered that Watkins and the girl who was stabbed had argued over the phone earlier in the day over a mutual male acquaintance, according to the news release. Later, while the girl attended football practice at ETHS to watch a relative, Watkins allegedly confronted her and a dispute arose.

The verbal argument then escalated, at which point Watkins allegedly stabbed the girl three times with a small knife.

After her arrest, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Watkins with one felony count of aggravated battery, according to the news release.

-Susan Du

Correction (9/29): The headline and the first paragraph of this article stated that the victim was an Evanston Township High School student. The victim nor the suspect are not affiliated with the high school at all. The Daily regrets the error.