Martha Stewart penned for Evanston book signing

Business magnate and media personality Martha Stewart will promote her new book in Evanston at an event benefiting the American Cancer Society.

Hosted by the North Shore and Chicago Women’s boards of the American Cancer Society and Winnetka’s Book Stall, it will mark one stop on Stewart’s national tour to publicize her newest book, “Martha’s Entertaining: A Year of Celebrations.”

“Women of all generations look to Martha Stewart as a great decorating guru, and we thought she would be an interesting speaker,” said Shannon Weasler, who serves on the North Shore Women’s board of the American Cancer Society. “The timing worked, and we just thought she would have a very high appeal with Chicago and the North Shore.”

The event will take place at noon Nov. 10 at the Hilton Orrington, 1710 Orrington Ave.

In addition to a luncheon, attendees will each receive a signed copy of the book, which includes a collection of Stewart’s recipes, photographs and personal anecdotes.

“It’s a very beautiful, coffee table-like book,” Weasler said.

Regular tickets are $150, and for a $225 patron-level ticket, guests can take part in a meet and greet with Stewart. Up to 400 people from the area can attend.

All proceeds generated from sales will be donated to the American Cancer Society. Weasler said she expects attendees will “feel good about giving.”

“It’s charitable,” she said. “And they’ll take away some home, garden, cooking and entertainment tips and advice.”

Over the past couple of years, the two women’s boards of American Cancer Society have begun hosting similar book reviews and events as fundraisers, Weasler said. The organizations’ last speaker was Marlo Thomas who wrote

“Growing Up Laughing” and discussed with the audience the importance of humor in life.

Prior to that, an event featured author Kelly Corrigan, who wrote “Lift” and “The Middle Place.”