Clifton: No justice and no peace in Davis’ death

It’s not just an old sweet song that keeps Georgia on my mind after Wednesday night.

Despite seven of nine witnesses recanting testimonies, no DNA evidence and no murder weapon found, a convicted man who could be innocent was put to death. The calls from leaders like former President Jimmy Carter, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the NAACP and a number of conservatives were not enough for a state to arrive at a reasonable resolution.

That sounds like an injustice to me.

I find it hard to fathom that any state’s Board of Pardons, court, elected officials or even a common person with a heart could look at Troy’s situation and not feel ashamed and horrified at the potential injustice that was served.

Judging by counter-protesters outside Davis’ Georgia prison and a Republican primary debate audience recently lauding Rick Perry’s rate of executions as Texas governor, it seems that many of our hearts are hardened. Supporters of the decision are unable to see the true inhumanity of executions – especially those done wrongfully.

The counter-protesters stood in opposition to the hundreds who held a vigil and chanted demands that Davis not be executed. They came to support the death penalty and the family of Mark MacPhail, the slain officer Davis allegedly murdered. They wore shirts with MacPhail’s image, along with the words, “he answered the call and gave us his all.”

A friend of the officer’s family told reporters, “I’m here to support Mark, and I’m here for justice for Mark.” His widow, Joan MacPhail-Harris: “I will grieve for the Davis family because now they’re going to understand our pain and our hurt.” And his mother, Anneliese MacPhail: “All the feelings of relief and peace I’ve been waiting for all these years, they will come later. I certainly do want some peace.”

Make no mistake: MacPhail’s family and loved ones suffered a loss no one should ever endure.

As an officer, he risked his life and ultimately lost it, to serve and protect those under his jurisdiction. Had MacPhail been our father, husband, brother or best friend, we too would seek justice at any cost; an opportunity to bring closure to a painful loss that dragged on for 22 years.

Davis’ execution will never offer any semblance of peace. If it does, it’s artificial at best since he may have been innocent.

Our justice system isn’t always just. Wrongful convictions are still a reality in our country. The wrongful conviction and, in some cases, execution of innocent people arises due to inadequate legal representation, apathetic judges, overzealous prosecutors and police officers, flawed witness testimony and, yes, racial prejudice. Hundreds of inmates have been exonerated due to wrongful convictions, a number of whom served on death row.

Even still, it is difficult to overturn a wrongful conviction and takes countless months and years to reopen files and reexamine the circumstances around a case. When someone’s life hangs in the balance, a state like Georgia and our justice system at large can’t afford to get it wrong.

It must be proven conclusively, without any hint of doubt, that an alleged criminal be guilty.If not, the justice system makes it worse, taking another innocent life in addition to the victim of the crime.

The eyes of justice may be blind, though we all should hope to see the day where the deathpenalty is no longer purported as “justice” in the eyes of our nation. There is hope.

Sixteen states and Washington D.C. already got rid of the death penalty. I hope and sincerely pray that what happened to Davis-and unquestionably others in our nation – awakens the consciousness of our leaders toward reforming our justice system.

Derrick Clifton is a Communication senior.

He can be reached at [email protected]