ASG debates resolution to thank Navy SEALs

A resolution to thank the Navy SEALs for assassinating Osama bin Laden spurred a Senate debate about patriotism and the celebration of death before its author rescinded it for further review.

ASG senator Isaac Hasson, a Weinberg sophomore, said he proposed “ASG Stands for Freedom” after witnessing crowds of students celebrating the news of bin Laden’s death Sunday night. The resolution would express the NU student body’s “undying gratitude” to the military for risking their lives.

However, ASG senator Benjy Leibowitz, a Weinberg freshman, objected to the resolution. Leibowitz said he understood students’ patriotism but did not find a statement supporting assassination to be appropriate, particularly given the “murky” details of the operation.

“I don’t like the idea of the student body rallying behind the death of a human being, no matter who it was, especially in these circumstances,” Leibowitz said.

But Hasson defended the resolution during Senate, pointing out the atrocities bin Laden committed and the heroism of the SEALs.

“I have no qualms about celebrating death of (a) mass murderer, who – as (a) result of military action – will never be able to terrorize anyone, anywhere around the world ever again,” Hasson said.

Senator Steven Monacelli, a Communication sophomore, passed an amendment to strike the term “War on Terror” from the resolution. Leibowitz was proposing removing specific mention of the May 1 Navy SEALs mission and replacing it with more general gratitude for military action when Hasson rescinded the legislation.

Hasson said he was unhappy that Senate moved to change his resolution while voting to end debate on the amendment.

“My intent was never to steamroll a bill through here,” Hasson said. “I wanted to have a bill passed that reflected the original intent of this bill. I thought it was a little bit disrespectful that people would try to prevent me from asking questions about an amendment to my own bill, especially given all the time I put into this.”

Still, Hasson said he will reintroduce the bill with changes next week.

“I don’t mind if you want to say, ‘It is a historic moment and we want to express our gratitude to everyone who has sacrificed, and we look forward to what’s coming next,'” Leibowitz said. “So very vague, broad, kind of hopeful and honorable language. But the specifics about this stuff I don’t really like.”

Senate did pass a resolution by ASG President Austin Young to change the name of the External Relations Vice President to Community Relations Vice President. However, Young’s proposal to change the name of the Public Relations Vice President to the Student Relations Vice President failed. Young proposed the change as a “symbolic move” for the PR committee to begin focusing more on facilitating student interaction than marketing ASG. However, outgoing PRVP Matt Bellassai called the plan “under-thought” and suggested real change would only come by clarifying the committee’s job description.

“I think the reality is, changing the name alone is not going to change the committee,” he said. “This is talk … you as a Senate should be demanding tangible things.”