Northwestern, Haven Middle School collaborate on play

In its second and final weekend of production, “Jungalbook,” a collaborative play between the Northwestern Theatre and Interpretation Center and Haven Middle School, presents an urban jungle where actors and audience alike find the courage to thrive despite adversity.

Based on the novel “Jungalbook” by Edward Mast, the play adaptation, which debuted 7 p.m. April 8 at the Ethel M. Barber Theater, 30 Arts Circle Drive, chronicles the tale of Mowgli, a teenage boy raised in a modern jungle. Mowgli and his animal friends face a concrete world where they must navigate animal gangs and confront their greatest enemies – a story that reflects the struggles of today’s youth, said Henry Godinez, the artistic director of “Jungalbook” and a professor in Northwestern’s theater department.

“It’s meant to address issues in our own community about violence, intimidation, and diversity,” Godinez said.

The collaboration with Haven Middle School performers came from the play’s director, Betsy Quinn, who also teaches drama at Haven, 2417 Prairie Ave., and doubles as an adjunct professor in Northwestern’s theater department, Godinez said.

“Betsy approached me with the idea, and I thought it was great,” he said. “We’re trying to connect with our young people and are interested in reaching into the community, so it was great that we got to utilize our connection through Betsy.”

There are seven middle school actors in the play and two 8th-grade assistant directors who work with Robyn Char, a Communication junior and one of the play’s college-level assistant directors. Char said the younger students involved in the play add a heightened energy level unlike working with her college peers.

“They bring a great energy. College students can get caught up in the business, and kids are fresh enough that they’re not jaded by acting,” she said.

From the energy on stage, to current hip-hop music and a diverse crew, the production itself represents art imitating life, Godinez said.

“The diversity you see on stage you see between college and middle school students in the production is beautiful,” he said. “It represents the world in which we live in a positive and harmonious way. It’s hopeful seeing other young people in the audience smiling and having a good time.”

Community acts as an important theme throughout the play, and Godinez said he hopes those who attend get a sense of what community is, and what it can be.

“This is in our backyard (and) absolutely is a reflection of what our young people are faced with – fear, intimidation and finding positive role models to see you through,” he added.

Char said she would encourage her fellow students to come see the play and take part in history in the making. She added the play is “unlike anything Northwestern’s ever seen.”

“It’s history,” Char said. “Evanston has a history of doing shows with college students and young people and we’re carrying on a tradition that’s been missing for a few years. Beyond that, the story itself is also told in a very exciting and imaginative way.”

Three shows remain for today, 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Discounted tickets are available at the Northwestern Theatre and Interpretation Center box office.