Spanish Writing Center to re-open

Students needing help with their Spanish papers had nowhere to go last week. But for the rest of the year, they will.

The Spanish Writing Center, which closed its door to students last week, will reopen this week.

According to an e-mail sent out by Jorge Coronado, the chair of the Spanish department, the Writing Center will be able to stay open because “The College has generously funded the SWC at levels equal to last year.”

The Center is currently open for around 120 hours per quarter. The plan introduced last week would have shut it down for the rest of the quarter, then reopened it in Spring Quarter for only 60 hours throughout the quarter.

“It’s expensive, so we’re trying to figure out a way to make it more cost-effective,” Coronado said last week.

Currently, the Center – which is designed to help Spanish majors and minors below the 210 level – is staffed entirely by one person: Prof. Elisa Baena.

Though the SWC will be returning for now, the Spanish department remains committed to rethinking the way the Center works.

“We will continue to work to reconfigure the SWC to better meet student needs,” Coronado said in the same e-mail.

The new schedule for the Center should be posted on the department’s website early this week.

– Ben Geier

Spanish Writing Center to re-open