Obama’s new chief of staff is a Northwestern trustee

President Barack Obama must really like the leadership ability of those connected with Northwestern.

First, Obama tapped Rahm Emanuel, the former congressman who received a master’s in communication at NU in 1985, to be his chief of staff. Emanuel left the White House in October to run for mayor of Chicago.

So when it became time to name his replacement, it seems Obama naturally turned back to the purple and white. William Daley, who was named to the position last week, is a charter member of NU’s Board of Trustees.

A lawyer and chairman of JP Morgan Chase’s Midwest region, Daley already has strong political connections as the brother of current Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley and as the former commerce secretary under President Bill Clinton.

“Few Americans can boast the breadth of experience that Bill brings to this job,” Obama said at the news conference announcing the appointment. “I know Bill to be somebody who cares deeply about this country, believes in its promise and considers no calling higher and more important than serving the American people.”

Daley was nominated to the NU Board of Trustees six years ago and is part of the 30 percent of members who did not graduate from NU, said Marilyn McCoy, vice president for administration and planning.

“Bill Daley has taken part in deliberations over various different aspects of the University,” McCoy said. “He’s a very thoughtful individual, and we’re very pleased to have him elevated to such a wonderful position.”

Daley could not immediately be reached for comment. It is unclear if he will continue to serve on the Board of Trustees, although he is able to do so, McCoy said.

The primary responsibility of the 76-member board is to preside over the governance of University policies and regulations. Members are nominated through a governing nominating committee that reviews candidates and decides who to recommend.

As chief of staff, the highest-ranking position in the Executive Office of the President, Daley will be a senior aide to Obama. He follows interim Chief of Staff Pete Rouse and formally succeeds Emanuel who, like Daley, is a Chicago native.

At the news conference, Daley said he looks “forward to working with the wonderful staff” at the White House and thanked President Obama for “this extreme honor.”

NU spokesman Al Cubbage said the University did not know about Daley’s appointment before the official announcement.

“We wish Daley well, we wish Obama well and we wish the country well,” Cubbage said.