Calendar 1/7: Photo gallery, indie concert, book sale

Photo gallery exhibition opens

The Perspective Group and Photography Gallery is hosting its January 2011 Exhibition beginning Friday through the end of the month. An opening reception will take place Saturday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The exhibition will feature work by Laura S. Friedlander and Donna Spencer. The gallery is open Thursdays through Saturdays from noon to 6 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.

Autoharp Hall of Fame artist comes to Evanston

Autoharp musician Bryan Bowers will perform at the Lake Street Church on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Bowers is a member of the Autoharp Hall of Fame and has recorded seven albums over the span of his 30-year career. Tickets are $15, and seating may not be reserved in advance.

Public Library to hold clearance book sale

The Evanston Public Library will host a clearance book sale in the Community Meeting Room on Friday and this weekend from noon to 5:30 p.m. All books will be 50 cents and proceeds from the sale benefit the library.

Opera singer to appear at Music Institute of Chicago

Mezzo-soprano opera singer Julia Bentley will perform Saturday at the Nichols Concert Hall at the Music Institute of Chicago. The program includes work by George Rochberg, Laura Schwendinger and George Crumb. The 7:30 p.m. concert is $10 for students and $25 for adults.

Indie rock concert

Chicago’s indie group The Flat Five will perform Friday at 8 p.m. Evanston SPACE, featuring artists Nora O’Connor, Kelly Hogan, Scott Ligon, KC McDonough and Alex Hall. The group blends musically diverse genres together to produce a unique sound. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 the day of.

Folk poet/songwriter to perform at SPACE

Poet/songwriter Pieta Brown will perform Saturday at Evanston SPACE with artist Musikanto at 8 p.m. Brown’s musical sound is a mixture of alt-country, folk, blues and indie-rock. She has previously toured with the popular music group Calexico. The daughter of folk singer Greg Brown, Pieta grew up in rural Iowa listening to folk music since childhood. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 the day of.