Construction temporarily closes block on Davis Street

A section of Davis Street will be closed for part of this week, but it shouldn’t affect Northwestern students walking to the popular restaurants on the busy street.

One block will be closed for three days as part of a construction project on a residential building for The Mather, a senior living community.

Power Construction Company implemented the temporary road closure between Judson and Hinman avenues in order to set up a tower crane before beginning construction on a new building at 450 Davis St., said Pelayo Enerio, an official in Evanston’s Transportation and Engineering division. The closed section of Davis Street will be used to spread the legs of the tower crane and add its counterweight, he said.

A detour will divert westbound Davis Street traffic south on Judson Avenue and onto Grove Street and Hinman Avenue, Enerio said.

Part of an alley that exits onto Davis Street between Judson and Hinman avenues has been closed to through traffic.

City transportation officials do not anticipate that the Davis Street closure will pose a major issue for the area, especially since the closed block normally has one-way traffic, Enerio said.

The road closure will not affect pedestrians using the sidewalk in front of The Mather at 425 Davis St.

“The sidewalk is still maintained to be accessible on the north side of the street,” Enerio said. “Just no cars.”

City officials expect Davis Street to reopen Thursday, he said.