Men’s Golf: Dangerous, driven Eric Chun chases champs

Most of us don’t settle on a career path by age 10. For that matter, many of us haven’t settled on anything in college.

For Eric Chun, though, the picture came into focus early in life.

Chun first followed his father to a driving range when he was 7 years old. His dad wanted him to learn the game as an asset to his business career. But by the time Eric was 10, he, not his father, was the one who meant business on the course.

“That was when I first thought I could play the game for life,” the sophomore said.Since then, Chun has developed into one of the nation’s top young golfers and a central figure for Northwestern. Chun won the Big Ten individual championship his freshman year and kept that pace this season, finishing in the top-20 at four events. Perhaps most impressive, though, is the way Chun has made his presence known outside of the collegiate golf scene, qualifying to play in the British Open in July.

“A focused Eric Chun is a dangerous golfer,” said coach Pat Goss. “When he’s on, he can make shots as well as anyone out there.”

Chun’s development may seem like it happened overnight, but it was a long journey for Chun, who qualified for this year’s Open Championship two days after his 20th birthday.

“It’s interesting-I don’t really know where my hometown is,” Chun said. “I’ve moved around so much that I can’t really say I am from anywhere.”

Born in South Korea, Chun moved to Malaysia at age 5. He was the top-ranked junior in Malaysia by 12 and was running out of serious competition by 14, so his family moved to Australia to test more competitive waters.

“I was excited for the challenge, but I felt a lot of pressure making that move,” Chun recalled. “My family was basically depending on me to do well there and make a name for myself, so it created a pretty big burden.”

By that time, golf was like a full-time job to Chun, who practiced and competed in tournaments year-round.

“Practicing on my birthday, Christmas, all the time-it was just normal,” Chun said. “I was completely focused. I saw my friends maybe once or twice a month.”

Soon the competition in Australia wasn’t enough either. His family headed back to South Korea, where Chun finished his last two years of high school. Around that time, he traveled to the U.S. for the first time, participating in six junior tournaments and winning two. He decided college competition was the best next step for his career and thought NU would make a good fit.

After Chun expressed interest in playing for NU, Goss talked with other recruiters who had followed him more extensively and heard rave reviews. As a player and person, Chun has lived up to those expectations.

“When I first met him, he seemed quiet, stern, serious,” Goss said. “But anyone who knows him will tell you he’s a funny and easy-going guy. And of course we like what he does on the course.”

After catching the conference off-guard by taking the Big Ten championship as a freshman, Chun has emerged as one of the figureheads of the team and his commitment to the school has grown accordingly.

“I’ve really grown to love Northwestern,” Chun said. “Other schools I looked at, like Michigan, were just too big. Here, there’s just so much pride.”

To display his pride, Chun always wears an NU cap, even when playing outside the collegiate game. Whether playing on the Asian pro tour, or earning a berth at this year’s British Open, Chun is always sporting purple.

His teammates are glad he came to NU and proudly wears purple, too.

“He plays such a solid game,” junior David Lipsky said. “He can set the tone at any tournament, and he keeps the bar high for the rest of us.”

With a focused effort and the right attitude, Goss said he’ll be looking for more from Chun in tournaments and seasons to come.

“Talent-wise, he’s as good as any player I’ve had,” Goss said. “Now we want to see that translate into consistent success.”[email protected]