Q&A: NU alumna talks college connections, alumni events

Proving you can never really leave the college years behind, Jessica Roberts (Communication ’03) is the former chairwoman of the Northwestern Young Alumni of Chicago and is currently still involved on the executive board. The group is an offshoot of the NU Club of Chicago, but it caters specifically to those who have graduated from NU in the past 10 years, Roberts said. She spoke with The Daily about why staying connected after college is so important, the best events her group has hosted and why your GPA actually matters in the real world. Excerpts:The Daily: Why do young alumni need a resource like this?

Jessica Roberts: A lot of young alumni who stay in Chicago have friends from Northwestern who stay in Chicago too, so in some ways it’s hard to get people to come to events because they already have a network. It’s a good way to get out of your normal group and do things with other Northwestern alumni. We do networking events and you know the people you’re friends with, but getting out of that can lead to more opportunities with friends, social events and even networking.The Daily: What kind of activities does the organization host? Any favorites?

Roberts: Our biggest event of the year is the Cubs game, which is coming up next week. We do that with a block of 300 tickets and have a bar party before in Wrigleyville. We also do charity fundraiser happy hours every month. Each month we pick a different bar, and it’s a $10 donation for free appetizers and you buy your own drinks and all the money goes to a local charity.

As for really good events, my favorite one was a tango dance lesson. There was an alum who had a dance studio and taught tango classes, so we decided to host it as an event. Some people were skeptical, but it sold out and some people who came had never come to an event before and then they started coming to committee events, so that’s what we like to see happen.The Daily: What recommendations do you have for seniors as they graduate from NU?

Roberts: Trust in your own abilities because it does mean something to have gone to Northwestern. There is a huge alumni network, so use all of the resources you have within that network.The Daily: How would you say your college friendships have held up?

Roberts: Really well! A bunch of us have road tripped to every bowl game since 2000 and it keeps getting worse and worse, but those road trips are great memories-just hanging out with friends is really invaluable. People move away and move back and as I go through different jobs, I have different friends, but it’s really hard to get that same connection you have with people you went to college with.The Daily: Any big lessons students have to wait until they’re in the “real world” to learn?

Roberts: GPA does actually matter. I always thought, “I’m at Northwestern, I’m just getting a degree!” I was a theatre design major and thought my portfolio would be my résumé, but it’s there and you want a nice number up there, so go to class-even if it’s the morning ones! [email protected]