Chang: Review of “Little Shop of Horrors”

Arts Alliance’s rendition of “Little Shop of Horrors” is the perfect mixof two things you’d never think would work well together: cuteand creepy.

But that’s exactly what Little Shop is. The charming lyrics, cutecostumes and fun choreography eventually give way to a range of darkthemes connected to human greed.

This version is set in the impoverished Skid Row of Chicago. Seymour(Communication junior Scott Shaefitz) is a naive yet good-heartedboy-next-door working at Mushnik’s Skid Row Florists, a failing flowershop owned by Mr. Mushnik (Communication senior Max Freedman). Seymourand his love interest, Audrey (Communication senior BrittanyBookbinder), dream of a better life outside the slums, which seems outof reach until Seymour’s botanical creation–a new species of acarnivorous flower–catches the attention of thousands. It’s just toobad the plant isn’t satisfied by food and water, which poses a bit ofa problem for Seymour. The flower, which he affectionately namesAudrey II (Communication sophomore Kara Goldsmith), feeds on human blood.

Little Shop of Horrors follows Seymour’s rise to fame through hisunspeakable acts of murder and deception, ultimately telling the taleof the American dream gone sadistically wrong.

Director and Communication junior Michael Holtzman has made thishumble but tastefully entertaining rendition of the musical come tolife. The story has been slightly altered to fit Chicago (“not fancylike Roger’s Park!”) and speaks to the urban poverty that existstoday. Though simple, the set of Little Shop is sweet, picturesque,and perhaps the best I’ve seen during my short time at NU. But thecuteness of Mushnik’s Skid Row Florists is another tool ofdeception–the musical is laced with themes of sexuality, drugaddiction, homelessness and greed.

Communication sophomore Rachel Shapiro, sophomore Mia Weinberger andfreshman Emily Olcott offer comic relief as well as movement andtalented harmonies throughout the musical as Chiffon, Crystal andRonnette, respectively.

Perhaps most striking, though, is Goldsmith’s Audrey II – her voiceis beautiful, sultry, creepy and tantalizing. And she’s mastered thecreepy laugh to boot.

Art Alliance’s Little Shop of Horrors is a production that manages tobalance color and life with the horrible consequences of insatiability– without being over the top. Prepare to be disturbed by thedelightfully eerie tale that this talented cast passionately brings tothe stage.

Tickets for Little Shop are $5 for students and faculty, $10 foradults, and can be purchased at the Norris University Student CenterBox Office and online at groups.northwestern.edu/nuartsalliance.Performances are in the Norris Louis Room on Friday and Saturday at 8and 11 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m..

-Annie Chang