15 Minutes With: Zack Rogue

Your debut album was released after you lost your job developing websites. Why decide to pursue music full time?

It wasn’t that conscious of an effort. I recorded this album for myself, but I had no expectations that I would form a band after recording an album. I certainly didn’t expect a label, especially a label of the caliber that would release our music and set the band on the road to do this full time. That was so far out of my reality. Once we were signed by Sub Pop, we were touring full time. Not just myself but everyone in the band realized if we were going to do it the way we wanted, we had to do it full time.

Your first album was a solo project. How did you form the band?

When I finished the album, I posted an ad on Craigslist. I didn’t really even ask for musicians per se, I think just listed influences and told people to get back to me if they liked those influences too. I had played in a band before, and I didn’t have the expectation that a band would necessarily formulate, that I would find other musicians I could relate to.What do you draw on when you write music?

You draw on how you’re feeling that day. Me, when I was writing this record, I was just drawing on body movement. I had been in a lot of pain, and I couldn’t play music for so long, and I just really wanted to make music that was. I wanted there to be a real pulse to every song, to kind of remind myself that I was still alive and capable of playing, but also I was trying to react to my environment a little.What are your musical influences?

I think when I was my most impressionable, I was really affected by a lot of that early R.E.M. stuff. I think when you’re in middle school, and you’re first met with music and love and a lot of those things you feel most deeply, you’re feeling them deeply because it’s affecting you for the first time. You really never forget that time in your adolescence because it really hits you deeply. I’ll never forget (R.E.M.). In a lot of ways, it was my first real crush with those pangs of adulthood and mortality.Your fourth album went a different direction than before. What’s in store for the future?

To tell you the truth, I’m not really focused on that right now. I’m focused on us on the road-there’s so much work to do while we’re touring. I want to survive this tour first. I’m hoping when we have some off time later this year, I can focus more on what it’s going to be.

Rogue Wave will play Lollapalooza on Aug. 6.