Women’s Golf: Freshman weaves way to the top

If her career were to end today, freshman Lauren Weaver would hold the school’s record with a 75.41 stroke average, topping the 75.95 average of current record holder Alice Kim.

As of now, Weaver has the second best single-season stroke average behind Kim’s 74.76 in the 2005-’06 season. That year Kim won the Big Ten Championship.

“We knew Lauren was a high quality player, and a player who could possibly be the best player in Northwestern history in women’s golf,” coach Emily Fletcher said. “She definitely has met and exceeded our expectations.”

Weaver arrived at NU ranked eighth nationally in her class by the American Junior Golf Association. The two-time Arizona state champion hit the ground running with the Cats, leading the team scoreboard in four of its first six tournaments. In her second tournament, Weaver shot a 5-under 68 round that tied for the second lowest round in school history.

“Lauren’s been our best player this season by far,” Fletcher said. “She hasn’t been playing as well as she did early on, but she’s definitely a leader for us out there. You count on her fighting for every shot and really hanging in there. She’s a competitor.”

Weaver holds several NU season records, from the lowest scoring average to the most top-20 finishes. Her performances have earned her the top seed for the team, and that is a responsibility Weaver relishes.

“You have to lead the team and achieve the lowest scores, and it is a little extra pressure, but I like it,” Weaver said. “It makes me play better.”

Fletcher mentioned earlier in the season that Weaver’s performances took pressure off her teammates and made them play better. The numbers are telling: Every golfer has had a lower scoring average this season. Sophomore Kylie Fuller, who has shown the largest drop from 80.59 to 76.29, hailed Weaver’s impact.

“She’s done a lot for us this year,” Fuller said. “She’s really stepped up and made all of us on top of our game, and pushed us and made our team a lot better.”

Weaver’s teammates describe her as competitive-Fletcher said Weaver is “as competitive a person as I’ve ever met”-but Weaver is more frank with her language.

“I’m aggressive with attitude on the course,” she said.

This characterization does not match her ready smile or Fuller’s description of her as a “sweet girl.” But Weaver said she shows her frustration with wayward shots on the golf course.

“Not like out of control,” Weaver said. “But (I do show it) a little more than the other girls.”

Weaver’s competitive attitude serves her well in other aspects of the game. Fletcher pointed out Weaver’s aggressive approach spurs her to take more risks and go for the birdie.

“I take a lot of risks-well, smart risks,” Weaver said with a laugh. “But I always want to try to make a birdie. I don’t like making a lot of pars, and I don’t usually make a lot of mistakes.”

Weaver’s confidence and focus on the golf course mark their presence in her schoolwork and career goals. Weaver juggles practice, tournaments and a biology major’s workload.

“Chemistry’s really doing me in,” she said. But with professional aspirations in medicine and golf, Weaver wants to keep all her doors open.

“I want to do both, which is pretty ambitious of me,” Weaver said. “But I’ll have to get a lot better and see how golf works out. If not, I’ll go to medical school.”

With time on her side, Weaver is on course to set numerous records for the Cats. On the final day of last week’s Big Ten Championships, Weaver was one of four freshmen to garner All-Big Ten honors, as she was named to the Second Team. Weaver is only the seventh player in program history to earn All-Big Ten honors.

It may be early in Weaver’s collegiate career, but Fletcher-who spent nine years as a mentor on the LPGA Tour-said she is confident Weaver can make the grade as a professional.

“She has enough to be successful out there on the LPGA Tour.” [email protected]