William Banis to retire by next year

Sixteen years after joining the Northwestern administration, Vice President for Student Affairs William Banis announced Tuesday his intent to retire by the end of the next academic year.

“If you work long enough and live long enough, retirement happens,” the 63-year-old said. “I’m at that point in life where it’s time for me to move on to the next stage of my life.”

In 10 years as vice president for student affairs, one of the most influential posts in the NU administration, Banis worked to increase campus safety, expand minority programs, provide support to fraternities and sororities and oversee improvements to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). He also served as director for University Career Services during his time at NU.

“Vice President Banis cares deeply about our students and has done so much for them over his illustrious Northwestern career,” University President Morton O. Schapiro wrote in an e-mail to The Daily. “The next vice president will undoubtedly build upon Bill’s fine legacy.”

Banis is the second senior administrator to retire since Schapiro was named president. Mary Desler, former dean of students, retired in July.

A national search for Banis’ successor will begin soon, according to a message sent to NU students, staff and faculty early Tuesday morning. The search committee will include students, faculty and administrators, Provost Daniel Linzer said in the message.

Banis declined to list qualities his replacement should have, saying that will be up to the search committee. Former Associated Student Government President Mike McGee said the successor should be able to communicate effectively with students, understand NU life and think creatively to solve problems.

McGee said any replacement will build off of the success of Banis’ tenure, “from safety improvements to off-campus life to on-campus life to sustainability.”

“I don’t think he could have done a better job of improving student life at Northwestern,” the Communication senior said.

Still, McGee said there is room for improvement in relations between students and the administration.

Like McGee, Linzer focused on Banis’ varied accomplishments in his message to the NU community.

“Northwestern University is deeply grateful to Bill Banis for his outstanding leadership,” Linzer wrote. “He has served Northwestern extremely well since 1994, and I hope you will join me in the coming months in thanking Bill for his leadership and service.”

Banis, who last week was named to the Faculty Honor Roll, said he did not measure his time at NU in terms of big accomplishments. Instead, he said he worked to achieve many small improvements for students.

“I think it would be very hard to summarize my tenure, but the notion of continuous improvement,” he said. “We’ve tried to be very student-centered and student-focused in our work and try to meet their needs with the resources that we had.”

Newly elected ASG President Claire Lew, a SESP junior who has worked with Banis on several initiatives, said his legacy will be his commitment to students.

Although he may not be making his retirement official for more than a year, Banis said he is already sad to be leaving.

“I really appreciate the opportunity to work here, to work with my staff, to work with the students, hopefully to do some good,” Banis said. “It’s been just a heckuva lot of fun to work with our students and it’s been very satisfying for me to be here.”[email protected]

William Banis to retire by next year