Softball: Northwestern looks to get back on track against Minnesota

Although Northwestern is in the midst of its worst stretch this season-five straight losses in which it was outscored by 45 runs-coach Kate Drohan maintains her team is only a small step away from getting back on track.

“(Softball) is a funny little game and it sure is contagious,” Drohan said. “We just need one little moment-one big hit-to really kind of get us going again.”

The Wildcats (16-16, 2-3 Big Ten) have been looking for a momentum boost since winning seven of eight games during spring break. Four of their last five losses have been cut short due to the eight-run rule, which ends a game if a team leads by eight or more after five innings.

Drohan’s squad will host Minnesota on Wednesday for an afternoon double header at Sharon J. Drysdale Field. The Golden Gophers (15-25, 1-5) have also lost their last five games, including two consecutive run-rule losses at No. 2 Michigan last weekend.

The two-game set will provide NU an opportunity to end its slide, as Minnesota has one of the worst offenses in the Big Ten. Its lineup hits only .220, the lowest in the conference, while averaging less than three runs per game. Only four of the Golden Gophers’ everyday players are hitting better than .200.

Minnesota also has little pitching depth. Freshman ace Lacey Middlebrooks is 15-13 with a 2.36 ERA, but no other starter on the staff has a win.

But NU is more concerned with its own game than Minnesota’s shortcomings. Drohan said she won’t let her team take its opponent lightly.

“Every Big Ten game is a tough game,” Drohan said. “Every Big Ten game is a dogfight. They beat us last year and that hasn’t escaped us.”

One of NU’s biggest problems is its offense, which is still searching for a rhythm, Drohan said. The Cats managed only five hits over the course of their last two games, mostly due to poor pitch selection.

“It makes it easy on the other pitcher if they can get ahead or strike us out on their pitches,” senior catcher Emily Haug said. “We just need to have a little bit better zone right now, a little more patience, watch the pitcher’s pitches, take them, and hit our pitches.

Putting pressure on opposing defenses is paramount to the Cats’ success on offense. And as rightfielder Kristin Scharkey noted, swinging at bad pitches works against this strength.

“If we start swinging at our pitches and stay true to our plan, then we’re going to be able to start putting pressure on the defense a lot more than we have,” Scharkey said.

Another area of concern for the Cats is pitching. Senior Lauren Delaney has struggled recently, with her record dropping to 8-11. Drohan said the key for NU’s ace is going back to the basics.

“Her consistency will come from confidence … and approaching each pitch with a clear head,” Drohan said. “We’re overcomplicating things right now, so we’re kind of simplifying it and going pitch-to-pitch.”

Despite a struggling ace, a stagnant offense and five straight losses, Drohan is still optimistic.

“We’re going to break out of this thing,” she said. [email protected]