State representative race between Funk and Democrat Gabel

The general election for the 18th District State Representative gained a second candidate last month, when Libertarian Steve Funk announced he will challenge Democrat Robyn Gabel for the seat.

Funk said he wants the district’s voters to have a choice in the election.

“It better serves democracy and it better serves the interests of our voters to have at least two people in the debate so we can have a debate,” he said.

This campaign will be Funk’s first experience in politics, he said. Funk currently works for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as an associate director of ticket sales and patron services, and he said his lack of political experience makes him a stronger candidate.

“People from all walks of life should engage in the political process and should spend time in office and then go back to their jobs and families,” Funk said. “What we have now is a political elite who create a career out of being in legislature, and I think this is part of the root of our problem right now.”

If elected state representative, Funk said he will focus on the state’s budget issues. Funk said he wants to reform what he sees as a “spending spree” and look closely at what can be eliminated. On his Web site, Funk says he wants to reduce-and eventually eliminate-income taxes and help the government become more transparent.

“There hasn’t been accountability in the way our money is spent and transparency to know who’s spending our money and why,” Funk said. “We need to examine the business model of government.”

According to his Web site, Funk says he is an advocate of same-sex marriage and believes all should be treated equally.

Gabel said her campaign will focus more on implementing national health care reform in Illinois, working to provide coverage and contain costs. In addition, Gabel said she will work to find a solution to the budget crisis and improve the job situation in the district.

Gabel also said the community is adamant about working toward a better food policy, especially with locally grown food.

“Obesity is out of control in our country,” Gabel said. “Food policy is a good place to improve because I also feel like it connects with health care.”

To get his campaign in full swing, Funk said his supporters are focusing on collecting the necessary signatures to put his name on the ballot.

Daniel Kamerling, Funk’s campaign manager, said Funk, being a minor party candidate, needs to get 2,500 signatures to get his name on the ballot, whereas major party candidates need only 500.

“It’s strange that a given individual isn’t treated equally across the board,” Kamerling said. “In terms of free speech and in terms of the democratic process, it feels a bit unfair.”

Funk said he sees the difference in the signature requirements as an example of the problems that exist in Illinois politics.

“It’s pretty clear that the major parties are trying to stifle competition. They don’t like outsiders playing in their sandbox, so to speak,” Funk said. “If nothing else, I hope to raise awareness on that issue because I think that people are eager for alternate views to be heard.”

Funk said once the signatures are in, he can start campaigning in earnest.

Gabel said despite Funk’s candidacy, she will continue to campaign the same way and rely on the support she has with the community and the success she experienced in the past.

“I’m running my own campaign, and I’m running on my own record, and I’m running to win,” she said. “I’m going to run my race based on my strengths and my commitment to the community and my accomplishments and what I’ve been able to do already to help families with health care coverage.”

Gabel said she doesn’t know enough about Funk to comment on his candidacy, but she said she feels confident about her own campaign. In February’s five-way Democratic primary, Gabel won with more than 27 percent of the votes.

“We had a spirited primary, and many of the people who ran in the primary are now supporting me,” Gabel said. “I’m also going out and meeting with community groups and I’ve met with many already. My goal is to meet with everyone and build more support.”

Funk said he is also confident about his bid for state representative and looks forward to what the future holds.

“I absolutely have a chance of winning,” Funk said. “If you look at past election results, there are still a lot of people who are looking for representation. I just want to energize the people and get them interested.”